Link Building Strategies: How to Get More Backlinks in 2023
Link building is one of the most effective ways to improve your website's SEO and drive more organic traffic. But how do you get more backlinks in 2022? What are the best link building strategies to use?
In this article, we will share with you some of the most effective link building strategies that you can use to get more high-quality links to your website. These strategies are based on proven methods that work in any niche and industry.
What is Link Building?
Link building is the process of acquiring hyperlinks from other websites to your own. A hyperlink (usually just called a link) is a way for users to navigate between pages on the Internet. Search engines use links to crawl the web.
Links are also a signal of trust and authority for search engines. They indicate that other websites vouch for your content and find it valuable. The more high-quality links you have, the more likely your pages are to rank higher in search results.
However, not all links are created equal. Some links are more valuable than others, depending on factors such as:
• The authority and relevance of the linking website
• The anchor text and context of the link
• The number and diversity of links from different websites
• The freshness and naturalness of the link profile
Therefore, it is important to focus on quality over quantity when it comes to link building. You want to get links from relevant and authoritative websites that are related to your niche and audience.
Why is Link Building Important?
Link building is important for SEO because it helps you:
• Increase your website's authority and trustworthiness
• Improve your website's visibility and ranking in search results
• Drive more organic traffic and leads to your website
• Build relationships and partnerships with other websites and influencers
• Enhance your brand awareness and reputation
• Boost your conversions and sales
According to a study by Backlinko, there is a strong correlation between the number of backlinks a page has and its position in Google's search results. The study analyzed over 11 million Google search results and found that:
• The #1 result in Google has an average of 3.8x more backlinks than positions #2–#10.
• 55.24% of pages have zero backlinks pointing to them.
• 91% of all pages never get any organic traffic from Google, mainly due to the fact that they don't have any backlinks.
These findings show that link building is essential for SEO success. Without links, your pages will have a hard time ranking well in Google and getting any organic traffic.
How to Get More Backlinks in 2023
Now that you know what link building is and why it is important, let's look at some of the best link building strategies that you can use to get more backlinks in 2022.
Content marketing is one of the most effective link building strategies. It involves creating and distributing valuable content that attracts and engages your target audience.
The idea is simple: if you create great content that people love, they will naturally want to link to it and share it with others. This way, you can earn links organically, without having to ask for them.
Some of the best types of content for link building are:
• Blog posts
• Guides and tutorials
• Ebooks and whitepapers
• Infographics and charts
• Videos and podcasts
• Case studies and testimonials
• Webinars and online courses
• Surveys and research reports
To create content that gets links, you need to:
• Research your audience and their needs, pain points, and interests
• Find out what topics and keywords they are searching for online
• Analyze the existing content on those topics and see how you can improve it or offer a different perspective
• Create original, useful, and engaging content that answers the user's query and adds value to their experience
• Promote your content to your audience and relevant websites and influencers
Email outreach is another effective link building strategy. It involves reaching out to other website owners, bloggers, journalists, or influencers and asking them to link to your content.
The key to successful email outreach is to:
• Identify the right prospects who are likely to be interested in your content and have the authority to link to it
• Find their email addresses using tools like Hunter.io or Voila Norbert
• Craft a personalized and compelling email that explains who you are, what your content is about, why they should care, and what you want them to do
• Follow up with them until you get a response or a link
Here is an example of an email outreach template that you can use:
Subject: I loved your article on [topic]
I'm [your name], [your position] at [your company].
I just read your article on [topic] and I really enjoyed it. You made some great points about [something they said].
I actually wrote a similar article on [your topic] that you might find interesting. It covers [what your article is about] and [how it is different or better than theirs].
Here it is: [link to your article]
I think your readers would love it as well. Would you mind adding a link to it in your article?
Let me know what you think.
Broken Link Building
Broken link building is a link building strategy that involves finding broken links on other websites and offering your content as a replacement.
A broken link is a link that leads to a page that no longer exists or returns an error. Broken links are bad for user experience and SEO, as they create a poor impression and waste crawl budget.
By finding broken links and fixing them with your content, you can:
• Provide value to the website owner by helping them improve their site
• Provide value to the website visitors by giving them a relevant and working resource
• Earn a backlink to your website from an authoritative source
To do broken link building, you need to:
• Find relevant websites in your niche that have broken links using tools like Ahrefs or Screaming Frog
• Check the broken links and see what kind of content they used to point to using tools like Wayback Machine or Archive.org
• Create similar or better content that matches the topic and intent of the broken link
• Reach out to the website owner and inform them about the broken link and suggest your content as a replacement
Here is an example of a broken link building email template that you can use:
Subject: Found a broken link on your site
I'm [your name], [your position] at [your company].
I was browsing your site and I came across this page: [link to their page]
I noticed that you have a broken link on that page. It points to this URL: [link to the broken URL]
I'm sure you don't want your visitors to land on a 404 page, right?
Well, I have some good news for you. I have a similar resource on my site that covers the same topic as the broken link. It's updated, comprehensive, and working.
Here it is: [link to your resource]
I think it would make a great replacement for the broken link. What do you think?
If you agree, please let me know and I'll send you the updated HTML code for the link.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Guest posting is a link building strategy that involves writing and publishing articles on other websites in exchange for a backlink to your website.
Guest posting can help you:
• Reach a new and relevant audience that might not be aware of your website or brand
• Showcase your expertise and authority on a topic or niche
• Build relationships and partnerships with other website owners and influencers
• Generate referral traffic and leads to your website
To do guest posting, you need to:
• Find relevant websites in your niche that accept guest posts using Google search operators or tools like Ahrefs